Saturday, November 17, 2012

Letter to a friend regarding Hinduism

Gopi,

I have had many conversations with myself, my teachers and friends on this subject.


As you may be aware, Dileep Thatte has been lecturing on the theme of "Seven Stars of Hinduism" to the NRI boys and girls to tell them what is essential Hinduism. He is at a higher level of understanding in these matters, more evolved as if.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My basic postulate is that a human being is no different than a tree. Giving the proper conditions, a child is born and lives according to the laws of nature that govern the trees the stars and the men! In due course it withers away and falls to the ground. Dust thou art and to dust returnth. Man has a mind. And that makes all the difference. Seat of all creativity and all the pranks and all the garbage (look at a nice write up enclosed).
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As per my belief system, Buddha and  Guru Nanak (Dhai akshar prem ka padhe so pandit hoi), and Mahavir Swami  are all Hindus. So Hinduism encompasses all their belief systems as well in addition to the later day Gurus like Sai Baba, Meher Baba, and various other Gurus of various traditions. I recently read a nice book on Saints and Psycopaths (William L Hamilton). The last chapter is really good on "Etiquette of Enlightenment".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We must differentiate between God and 'gods'. God is which is beyond description and which gives brightness to the stars, (यस्य भासा सर्वं इदं विभाति ). By knowing whom you know everything else. I treat it as the first Shloka of Ishopanishada states,"Eesha vasyam idam sarvam" . This whole thing is Eesh, the laws that govern.
God is always mentioned like this as not this, not that, not even this etc.

Other gods are various, and praises are heaped upon them in all literature, out of fear and respect.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So my own belief is that we must tend the body, being in the body. That means physical exercises. Essential because body requires food and exercise. So Asanas and Pranayama. By performing these we tell the body that you are important to me and you are my part and parcel, and I take care of you. Otherwise body systems start misbehaving. Auto immune systems go haywire and cancers erupt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Mind requires to be shown similar affection. Mind requires training. I think Vipassana of Buddha is a good way to do this, though Osho Rajanish says any of the 200 odd systems are all great to quieten the mind and cool it sufficiently for better efficiency. Awareness and Equanimity are the backbones of training the mind. Rick Hanson has a nice slide set on the net on this theme. Google for Rick Hanson and you have it.
I also believe that no system will work unless you believe in "Survey bhavantu sukhinah", and  "Aum sahanavavtu, sah nau bhunaktu.............Ma vidvishavahai" The last part Ma vidvishavahai is the operative part. No effort will be successful if one does not treat this as an axiom.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The final frontier is efficiency, Yogah karmasu Kaushalam, as Gita defines it and is achieved through Abhyasa and Vairagya, as defined by Patanjali and Gita both.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As I told you earlier, I am no judge of the huge amount of writing in Hinduism, one more abstract than the other. I have started on a certain path because I believe in the two teachers, Dr H R Nagendra who teaches at his Vivekanand  Yoga Academy in Bangalore (svyasa.org), and S N Goenka, the Vipassana teacher at Igatpuri (dhamma.org). I think the mysteries of the Universe will unfold as I continue on the path.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
One does not have to believe in all at once. Like in Buddha Philosophy (if I remember rightly!), there are four stages1. in the stream guys, 2. Once returners 3. Once returners to higher worlds and 4. non returners.
I don't know and don't want to know whether this is true, there is no way to know also.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The important part is that I am a Hindu and have a belief system which may be singular, unique to me. Hinduism allows that.

No comments: